Geist: The Sin Eaters
Everyone rolls Initiative: The result of a die roll + Dexterity + Composure. The character with the highest Initiative performs her action first. Or you may yield your character’s action until later in the Initiative queue or intro the next turn.
- Unarmed close combat: Strength + Brawl, minus target’s Defense and armor
- Armed close combat: Strength + Weaponry, minus target’s Defense and armor
- Ranged combat (guns and bows): Dexterity + Firearms, minus target’s armor
- Ranged combat (thrown weapons): Dexterity + Athletics, minus target’s Defense and armor
Add bonus dice based on weapon used or effect performed, and then subtract penalties for circumstance conditions. Roll your remaining pool. Each success equates to a Health point of damage inflicted, the type of which is determined by the nature of the attack.
The Storyteller describes the attack and wound in narrative terms.
- Aiming: +1 per turn to a +3 maximum
- All-Out Attack: +2 with Brawl or Weaponry attack; lose Defense
- Autofire Long Burst: 20 or so bullets at as many targets as the shooter wants, pending Storyteller approval. A +3 bonus is applied to each attack roll; -1 per roll for each target if there’s more than one
- Autofire Medium Burst: 10 or so bullets at one to three targets, with a +2 bonus to each attack roll; -1 per roll for each target if there’s more than one
- Autofire Short Burst: Three bullets at a single target with a +1 bonus to the roll
- Concealment: Barely -1; partially -2; substantially -3
- Dodge: Double target’s Defense
- Drawing a Weapon: Requires one action (one turn) without a Merit, and could negate Defense
- Firing from Concealment: Shooter’s own concealment quality (-1, -2 or -3) reduced by one as a penalty to fire back (so, no modifier, -1 or -2)
- Offhand Attack: -2 penalty
- Prone Target: -2 penalty to hit in ranged combat; +2 bonus to hit when attacker is within close-combat distance
- Range: -2 at medium range, -4 at long range
- Shooting into Close Combat: -2 per combatant avoided in a single shot (not applicable to autofire)
- Specified Target: Torso -1, leg or arm -2, head -3, hand -4, eye -5
- Surprised or Immobilized Target: Defense doesn’t apply
- Touching a Target: Dexterity + Brawl or Dexterity + Weaponry; armor may or may not apply, Defense does apply
- Willpower: Add three dice or +2 to a Resistance trait (Stamina, Resolve, Composure, or Defense) in one roll or instance
Attacking specific body parts has its benefits. In addition to ignoring armor, strikes to limbs and the head can have added effects.
- Arm (-2): A damaging hit can inflict the Arm Wrack Tilt if it deals more damage than the target’s Stamina.
- Leg (-2): A damaging hit can inflict the Leg Wrack Tilt if it deals more damage than the target’s Stamina.
- Head (-3): A damaging attack can stun the victim (see the Stun Tilt).
- Heart (-3): If the attacker does at least five points of damage, the weapon pierces the opponent’s heart, with special effects for some monstrous targets.
- Hand (-4): On a damaging hit, the victim suffers the Arm Wrack Tilt.
- Eye (-5): On a damaging hit, the victim is blinded.